- The first round of discussions will typically consist of two back-to-back interviews, each including a case study and an experience interview. The final round interview date and format will vary by office location.
- They will ask you to discuss your past experiences and achievements, and you will work through case studies that are representative of the type of work our consultants do.
- There will also be time for you to ask questions regarding our firm or your career choices more broadly.
- We are excited to announce that for most MBA candidates, one of your case interviews will be conducted using our interviewing app! McKinsey uses the latest technology to engage with our clients and we aspire to do the same in all our recruiting processes. Our case interviewing app brings our problem-solving to life though the use of colorful, fun, and interactive exhibits.
- After final round interviews, it depends once again on the office or practice you’re interviewing with, but typically most offices and practices will notify candidates of offer decisions within 24-48 hours of the interview.
- Personal experience interview – Come prepared to discuss important past experiences in a detailed way, focusing on your specific role and describing the key actions that were critical to success.
- Case interview – We believe the best way to assess your problem-solving skills is to discuss a real McKinsey business problem with you, to help us understand how you would:
- Structure a tough, often ambiguous, business problem
- Decide which issues are important to focus on
- Deal with facts and data—and their implications (numerical and otherwise)
- Formulate conclusions and recommendations to solve the problem
- Articulate your thoughts during a fast moving discussion
For additional interview tips, check out McKinsey’s interview tips videos here.
- Although it’s easier said than done, you will perform better if you are relaxed. Our interviewers are friendly and fair, and they want you to succeed.
- Be yourself. There is no “typical” McKinsey hire—we all come from different backgrounds. Be yourself in your interview—we are excited to meet you.
- Take your time. Do not feel rushed to respond to questions… take time to think them through. Ask your interviewer for a moment to think or to clarify anything you do not understand.
- Don’t forget to interview us. Ensure you ask questions, get to know your interviewers, and get a feel for our work, our people, our culture and our values.