43. University of Pittsburgh’s Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business
University of Pittsburgh’s Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business301 Mervis Hall
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania , 15260
First Round: Oct. 1, 2014
Second Round: Dec. 1, 2014
Third Round: Feb. 1, 2015
Fourth Round: April 1, 2015
The University of Pittsburgh’s Katz Graduate School of Business has two full-time MBA options: a one-year program and a two-year program. Both are fairly small, intimate experiences with the school entering less than 100 students in each of the past two years–and both are filled with a good bit of experiential learning opportunities to offset the younger age of the students here who tend to have a bit less work experience.
The Katz two-year MBA program is designed for those who seek a traditional graduate business education. Students gain real-world experience through an optional professional internship following the first year of study or through Katz Consulting Field Projects, electives, community service projects, and interactions with business leaders during case competitions and campus visits.
Degree requirements for the program include a minimum of 57 credits, an appropriate distribution of 22.5 credits of required core courses and 30 credits of elective courses, a maximum of 15.0 credits per term, and a minimum cumulative quality point average of 3.0.
Katz two-year students start in August and graduate 20 months later in April.
Latest Up-to-Date Rankings:
Poets & Quants (2014): 61
Businessweek (2014): 35
Forbes (2013): 48
U.S. News & World Report (2015): 52
Financial Times (2014): 40 (U.S.)
The Economist (2014): 43 (U.S.)
In U.S. News, Katz jumped to 52nd from a rank of 85 in 2011, making Katz the fastest rising program in the ranking over the past three years. The Financial Times’ 2013 list, moreover, ranked the school in the top 20 among public institutions and the #1 salary in increase in the United States.
In 2013, Forbes and The Economist, which rank schools on the basis of return-on-investment, ranked Katz in the top 25 among public institutions and as the #1 return on investment in the United States per The Economist.
Program Costs: $48,964 (resident) / $63,632 (non-resident)
Median GMAT: 628
GMAT Range (mid-80%): 550-700
Average GPA: 3.37
Acceptance Rate: 25%
Full-Time MBA Enrollment: 158
Mean Age: 26
Average 2014 Base Salary: $80,096
Average 2014 Signing Bonus: $8,727
Percentage of Class of 2014 MBAs with Job Offers at Graduation: 87%
Percentage of Class of 2014 MBAs with Job Offers Three Months Later: 96%
Top recruiting organizations for Class of 2014:
- Crane Company: 7
- Nationwide Insurance: 6
- SDLC Partners: 2
- PNC: 2
Where the Class of 2014 Went To Work:
- Manufacturing: 37%
- Financial Services: 26%
- Consulting: 8%
- Other: 18%
The Experience-Based MBA
At Katz, we believe in one constant—that business never stops reinventing itself, and neither should you. To be ready to continually adapt and grow, you’ll need a strong foundation in the fundamentals. We’ll build you one through exposure to real-world experiences, global business immersions, internships and co-ops, and team-based simulations. From the moment you step on campus, we’ll get you ready to become a leader who can immediately make a positive impact and solve problems of all sizes and types. We’ll get you ready to confidently respond to change, no matter what comes your way. Are You Ready? You Can Be.
Five Formats. One MBA.
At Katz, we give you the flexibility to select the MBA format that is right for you. Each program is grounded in our commitment to Experience-Based Learning and is taught by our world-class faculty, which ensures that, no matter which program you select, you’ll graduate with the tools needed to make an immediate positive impact.
- One-Year MBAReduce the time you spend away from the workforce and maximize your return on investment by completing the Katz MBA in an accelerated 11-month format.
- Two-Year MBAThe traditional-style MBA gives you a comprehensive understanding of business operations and leaves time for an internship experience.
- Part-Time MBADesigned with the working professional in mind, the flexible part-time program enables you to continue working while earning their MBA.
- Executive MBATailored for mid-level and senior managers, this program enhances your strategic vision and executive skills and provides immersion learning on three continents.
- Joint and Dual DegreesYou have the option of pairing your MBA with a master’s degree in law, engineering, information systems, international business, international development, or public and international affairs.
Credit Hours Are Ramp-Up Time
At Katz, Experience-Based Learning is our central curricular focus. We use real-world experiences to teach you the hard skills (the analytic-driven, technical competencies) and the soft skills (people-based skills such as leadership and teamwork) that are necessary to be a business leader. At Katz, you are able to complete an array of client-based projects, internships and co-ops, global business immersions, internal and external case competitions, research fellowships, and more. The following Experience-Based Learning experiences are critical to our MBA program:
- Consulting Field Projects let you work as management consultants on challenging projects for real companies. Your team is given a scope of work and then you spend the course of a semester completing the project, before ultimately presenting it to the client and presenting it in the school’s McKinsey Cup case competition. Past Consulting Field Project clients have included Westinghouse Electric; Thomson Reuters; Philips, Inc.; Bank of New York Mellon; and UPMC.
- Ethics and social responsibility fellowship programs give you the experience of applying business principles in a community-driven environment. Our Kenneth R. Woodcock Leadership Fellowship Program lets you serve as a guest member on the boards of directors of greater Pittsburgh nonprofits and economic development organizations. Our BNY Mellon Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Fellowship Program lets you work in a consulting capacity for a Pittsburgh organization on a CSR-themed project. Past clients have included the government of Allegheny County, Sustainable Pittsburgh, UPMC, and Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens.
- The Management Simulation lets you tie together everything you learned in the core courses by having the experience of running a company in a simulated, competitive environment. As the capstone to the MBA program, it involves reporting your work to a board of directors made up of real managers and executives from the Pittsburgh area.
- The Global Research Practicum gives you an opportunity to travel abroad and meet with local and multinational companies, and learn about their business practices and culture through a short-term, project-based trip. Three trips are offered in a typical year, and past locations have included cities in Asia, Europe, and South America.
- At a more fundamental level, every Katz course incorporates case studies, group projects, and assignments tied to current events. This active learning model prepares you to think on your feet, so that you can stand tall when the sands of change shift under your feet.
Pittsburgh is More Than Our Address
At Katz, you’re able to take advantage of the ties we’ve built with Pittsburgh’s business community. Some of the nation’s largest corporations—and a number of exciting startups—are located just a few miles from our urban campus. We’re proud to live in a city that has successfully reinvented itself and faces a bright future. We believe the world can learn a lot from how Pittsburgh has grown new business in the face of economic upheaval. We believe the world can learn from how Pittsburgh has found innovative ways to implement new public and private partnerships that advance the common good. As one of our students, you’ll be able to take the lessons learned in Pittsburgh to organizations all over the world.
Customize Your MBA Experience
The Katz MBA provides both a solid grounding in management fundamentals and the opportunity to customize your skill set through electives. We offer areas of concentration that enable you to specialize in Finance, Management of Information Systems, Marketing, Operations, Strategy, or Organizational Behavior and HR Management. Then you select from ten certificates that allow you to further refine your focus. The certificates, which are shaped by market demand, contain a mandatory experience-based learning component. The combination of your concentration and certificate, combined with your complete of Experience-Based Learning, will prepare you to be Katz Ready.
At Katz, it’s a point of pride that our professors are accessible and approachable to students, while also being at the top of their fields. Our professors serve in a leadership capacity at top research journals and are also regularly sought out by industry-leading businesses for consulting projects. In that sense, our faculty members represent the best of both worlds: academic excellence combined with real-world experience. As a student, you can expect the opportunity to interact with faculty who will challenge you to grow as business professionals through a curriculum that emphasizes solving real business problems.
Tailored Career Management Support
The Katz Career Management team is committed to helping you secure the right career at the right company. We offer a holistic approach to academic and career support to ensure that you will graduate ready to add value to your employer at day one. To maximize your opportunities, we build and maintain relationships with top employers nationally and in Western Pennsylvania—a group which recruits on campus in-person, through job fairs, and through video-conferencing calls. We’ll provide you with personalized coaching and assistance with job search planning and post-MBA career management. Our job placement rate for Two-Year MBAs regularly exceeds 90 percent.
Exposure to Global Opportunities
At Katz, we develop your understanding of global business, both broadly and within your professional focus. Our International Business Center will prepare you to understand the complexities of international markets, the nuances of diverse world cultures, and the rapid change caused by disruptive technologies. You’ll have the opportunity to experience global business firsthand by completing a Global Research Practicum, a course in which you will travel abroad for visits to companies and cultural trips. We also offer the Global Management Certificate, which requires you to complete internationally focused courses and also an Experience-Based Learning project in another country.
Innovation Drives Us
By being part of the University of Pittsburgh community, you are plugged into the University’s broader innovation ecosystem. Pitt’s Innovation Institute presents the annual Randall Family Big Idea Competition, a startup showcase in which students envision, develop, and present their business models for new innovative products and services. For students seeking a deep dive in the mechanisms of business transformation, Katz offers the certificate program in Technology, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship. Curricular topics include the commercialization of new technologies, product development and life cycle, new venture initiation, and the management of strategic alliances.
Collaboration is Key
As part of your professional development, you’ll serve on project teams at every step of the way. Your exposure to our diverse class, both in cultural backgrounds and professional experience, will prepare you for new and different ways of thinking. Katz’s MBA programs have been rated No. 1 in teamwork by Bloomberg Businessweek. Our goal is to mold graduates who excel individually and as part of cross-functional teams. It is part of what we believe is the need breed of leadership: the open-minded collaborator.
Grow Your Network
As a future Katz MBA graduate, you’ll join one the largest MBA networks in the world and the Pitt Alumni Association, an alumni network of more than 310,000 people that spans every continent and practically every major city. We count on our alumni to refer our students for job and internship opportunities and, on a broader level, to be an ambassador for the program, projecting to the world what it means to be Katz Ready. Katz’s alumni network includes more than 1,000 board chairs, chief executive officers, and presidents, and thousands more alumni hold senior management positions at companies across the full spectrum of business industries.
Diverse, Inclusive Environment
At Katz, we’re committed to the success of every student, regardless of race, culture, religion, marital status, or sexual orientation. We believe that our diverse environment is representative of global business, and therefore better prepares our graduates to make an immediate impact. We host a Diversity Student Weekend for prospective students, offer a number of scholarships to students from underrepresented populations, and give students networking opportunities through both student-run organizations and our affiliations with regional and national diversity organizations. One of the school’s most active alumni groups is Pitt’s Black MBA Network (PBAN), which was founded by and run by Katz alumni and works closely with Katz to support students via mentoring, employment referrals, and fundraising for annual diversity scholarships. Additionally, military veterans returning to the workforce also find an inclusive environment at Katz. Year after year, G.I. Jobs, a national publication for military veterans, names Katz a top military-friendly school in the nation.
Take the Next Step—Apply
Our admissions representatives would be happy to answer any questions you have about Katz MBA programs in a timely manner. Consider contacting any of the admissions representatives below or contact the general e-mail and phone number.
For more information about the Katz MBA, please fill out a brief admissions form.
MBA Admissions E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
MBA Admissions Phone: 412-648-1700
- Thomas Keller
Katz Admissions Director
- Erin Vuono
- Melanie Krugel
Assistant Director of Student Recruitment