If you are considering business school, there is a reasonable chance that you are also considering other graduate programs to enhance your career. You may even be considering going to law school (you poor thing).
Here are several reasons why business school is better than law school:
• Business school is 33% shorter than law school, which means 33% fewer classes, 33% less tuition, 33% fewer years of foregone income.
• No Bar Exam or Continuing Legal Education (CLE). When you graduate from business school, you are an MBA and you are free to “practice business.” Chump law school grads still have to pass the Bar Exam to practice law. Suckas.
• B-school guys are less douchy than law school guys.3 If you are in the market for a fella, then you’ll do great at b-school, which is a hot dog fest for smart, motivated dudes. It’s not as male-heavy as it used to be, but it’s still like shooting sausage in a barrel.
• B-school women are cooler and better looking than law school women. (I have no data to support this, but I feel pretty good about it as unsubstantiated conjecture.)
• Most importantly: when it’s all over, you won’t have to be a lawyer.
Here’s where I confess that, before I applied to business school, I was considering doing a joint JD-MBA program. I took the LSAT, but bombed it. I thereby decided I would go to a great business school instead of a crappy joint degree program. Net: the LSAT saved me an additional two years of school and a lifetime of being a lawyer.
Author Paul Ollinger is a writer and stand-up comedian who has opened for some of the biggest names in the business. He also has an MBA from Dartmouth’s Tuck School and was one the first 250 employees of Facebook where he served as VP of Sales for the Western United States. When he’s not on the road speaking, doing stand-up and sharing his unique POV on business and life, he lives in Atlanta, GA, with his beautiful wife, two wonderful children and French bulldog, Colonel Tom Parker. This article is excerpted with his permission from his newly published book, You Should Totally Get An MBA: A Comedian’s Guide To Top U.S. Business Schools, now available on Amazon.
‘You Should Totally Get An MBA’ Video Series
Comments or questions about this article? Email us.