Here’s a secret about life post-MBA: Everybody still writes their own bios. When you read a bio written in the third person, don’t you kinda know you’re being shamed?
I’m just gonna talk to you straight. Post-MBA life is no cushier than pre-MBA life. You still have to pursue your dreams with grit and determination. You still have to manage all your own press. You still have to be responsible for your own network of mutually beneficial relationships.
That’s what it takes to succeed post-MBA. This reality dawned on me two years after my own MBA at Chicago Booth when I was working at the Boston Consulting Group. Part of my job was to coach MBAs at all the top MBA programs to clear BCG’s incredibly high bar. Here are some things I discovered in those days:
- self-knowledge and humility are the foundation of self-promotion that doesn’t repel your audience with arrogance
- brilliant, authentic storytelling will bridge a connection between two people and cement a bond of trust, overriding any number of candidate weaknesses
- the most successful professionals in any sphere build genuine friendships with their network
Codifying and teaching these tools to Leaders of Consequence has been my life’s work since. I’ve become a kind of scientist, reaching for new discoveries about human nature and sharing them with the world. I’m obsessed with cracking the code to more meaningful relationships, greater self-expression, and more fulfilling contribution.
In 2010, I left BCG so I could pursue this obsession fulltime and be of service to a broader range of ambitious professionals in their quest to achieve their potential and have careers that matter. And so Career Protocol was born.
My aim is to help you achieve your potential and have a more joyful life. If the MBA is a critical step on your road to that, my team and I are here to make it magical for you.
Here are some ways you can get to know me and what we do at Career Protocol:
- I’ve built a YouTube Channel dedicated to MBAs, where I share my most prized tips weekly. Check out MBA Mondays with us.
- I built MBAmo, a robot that – with a little bit of data – will deliver a personalized 20-page readout, calibrating your chances at top schools and detailing guidance for MBA success.
- I’ve got a pretty robust blog full of some of the industry’s most incisive and comprehensive pieces. Connect with us to get our extensive, free content.
- I published a bestselling book about storytelling and interviews, Interview Hero, that will change how you feel not only about interviews, but also about yourself. As one reader put it: “My newly-honed life stories make me like and respect myself more as the ‘hero’ of my own personal adventure…& my self-talk has become infinitely [sic] kinder.”
- I also published How To Network Without Feeling Like An A-Hole, a book about networking based in the principles of friendship, so you can build meaningful connections instead of using people (which, let’s face it, feels awful).
- And I created FriendMo, an app that helps you keep in contact with your people through kindness <3.
But the achievement I’m most proud of is the team I’ve built at Career Protocol. We work 1:1 with a small handful of MBA applicants yearly and help them achieve their dreams while having more fun and being completely true to themselves.
Working with us is a little like a spa vacation and a little like a trip to Disneyland combined with tons of hard work. We relieve the MBA app stress and make it fun to build self-awareness, communication, and relationship skills while you create brilliant, successful applications to your dream schools (yes, nearly all of our clients get in).
Have a chat with us about taking on the world and your MBA applications together. I promise you’ll love it almost as much as we will.
OK you’re smart, so you’ve probably read a lot of these. Here’s how we’re the same as some admissions consultants out there: in our elite school packages, we touch every single part of your application for your target schools as many times as we need to until the finished product inspires both you and us. We bring over a decade of expertise to bear, and we do all of this on a predictable timeline. Much more interesting, though, is what makes Career Protocol different. We’re not really consultants. We’re teachers. Career Protocol is a Professional Development Firm.
We think the MBA application process is a golden opportunity to uplevel your professional profile and executive skillset BEFORE you take the leap into the MBA. So instead of simply editing your essays, we use the MBA application as a training ground for new capabilities that will last you a lifetime.
Menu of Services and Associated Costs
THE IRRESISTIBLE MBA APPLICATION PACKAGE
Think of the Irresistible MBA Application Package (as we call it) as a nearly year-long course in executive-level self-awareness, communication, and relationship building skills tailored to your needs and experiences. We work with you on every aspect of the MBA application not only to maximize your chances of success but also to uplevel your executive skillset in the process. Your Career Protocol Instructor will teach you how to explore your values, tell epic stories, and build genuine relationships with your fellow humans in everything you do (yes, even when you’re just writing an MBA application!) so that you can have the impact you want to have in your career. Imagine how empowered you’ll feel the first day of class knowing that you used the whole year prior to your MBA building key leadership skills with an experienced teacher by your side.
If you want someone to edit your essays, work with friends and family. If you want to transform your ability to stand out for the rest of your career as the bright shiny unicorn* you are, work with us.
*We mean unicorn in the one-of-a-kind-unique sense, not in the instagrammy** rainbow sense.
** We do like instagrammy rainbow unicorns, tho. Especially the cupcake kind.
ONCE YOU GET INTO BUSINESS SCHOOL…
The fun doesn’t stop. We’ve got…
- The Interview Hero Coaching Program
- YOMO: You Only MBA Once (AKA Your Guide to Getting Your Best MBA Internship), and
- How to Be the Smartest Person in the Room (AKA The Consulting Case Interview Hero Program)
These are all affordable group coaching programs to help you target and get the internship and post-MBA job you really want, while – of course – building your professional skillset every step of the way.
Location: Texas, United States