With online MBA programs popping up all over the world, Trinity Business School has launched the first online option in Ireland. With full tuition at €35,000 ($41,740), the two-year program is priced substantially more than the cost of the most disruptive options in either the U.S. or Europe.
The University of Illinois’ Gies College of Business boasts one of the most successful online MBA programs at a cost of just $22,000, half the price of Trinity’s program (see Gies’ iMBA: Inside A Disruptive Online MBA Option), while ESMT Berlin in Europe has launched an online MBA for $30,000, more than $10,000 less (see ESMT Berlin Enters Online MBA Market).
Both ESMT Berlin and Trinity are the newest online MBA players in Europe, a market where the dominant schools have been Spain’s IE Business School, the first school in Europe to launch an online MBA, as well as Britain’s Warwick Business School and Imperial College Business School in London.IE Business School’s online global MBA currently has a price tag of IE €51,200 ($61,667), while Imperial is charging €48,020 ($39,870) and Warwick is priced at €39,660 ($32,930). Imperial’s online offering is the first international program to gain a ranking from Poets&Quants.
TRINITY’S ONLINE MBA PRICE IS ABOUT THE SAME AS THE COST OF ITS FULL-TIME & EXISTING EMBATrinity is pricing its online option at roughly the same cost of its full-time MBA which currently costs €35,800 as well as its existing €35,800 Executive MBA in which students attend classes on campus on Monday and Tuesday evenings and four Saturdays a term. The school’s EMBA program also has a trio of mandatory block weeks over the two-year period that includes an international residency week in Brussels.
Four years in the making, the Trinity option will welcome its first cohort in September of 2021. Dubbed a Flexible Executive MBA, the blended program will be 80% online with the remaining 20% on the school’s campus in Dublin. will involve 20 per cent on-campus learning, and will welcome its first cohort in September 2021.
“With huge swathes of the world of work having gone remote due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the launch of our new Flexible Executive MBA is certainly timely,” said Trinity Dean Andrew Burke in a statement. “However, the reality is that this is four years in the making; having been prompted by growing trends in remote, flexible, juggling co-working parents and other new forms of working.”
The online courses will be taught out of the school’s new Matrix Room, which Trinity describes as a state-of-the-art interactive hub developed exclusively for the program.
YEAR ONE IS COMPOSED OF A SERIES OF CORE MODULES PLUS THE START OF A COMPANY PROJECT
The program kicks off with the Michaelmas Term, which runs from September to December, and will be composed of three core modules featuring a mix of lecturers, guest speakers, live action learning, projects and a workshop. During a block week, online MBA students will study Accounting and Financial Management, with the other pair of core courses covering Managing People in Organizations and Strategic Management.
The Hilary Term, running from January to March, will add on four more core modules as well as a company project. The coursework will feature deep dives in business ethics and corporate social responsibility, marketing, economics and global markets, and Leading with business analytics and artificial intelligence. In the first year’s final term, the April-through-August Trinity Term, students will do three more core modules in operations strategy, professional development, and leadership and climate emergency.
Year two of the program launches with a campus immersion week and a company project, followed by electives and an independent elective project. In the final Trinity Term, students engage in a social enterprise and entrepreneurship project as well as a scaling project before graduation in August. The school currently lists just six elective options that range from international business to cross-cultural management.
For admission, Trinity will require an Executive Assessment test wit a score of 140/200, along with a minimum of three to five years of work experience as well as a degree, professional qualification or track record of business achievement. The school is open to waiving the EA exam for applicants with eight or more years of management experience or holders of a Masters or PhD qualification in a quantitative discipline from a reputable university. Non-native English speakers are expected to have an IELTS 6.5 or a TOEFL IBT 90.